Re: remove interface tab (please don't)

> Absolutely not. The only customization that Linux (or, I assume you
> mean, open source software) demands is that source code be available
> for people to tinker with. If you look around, you'll find that many
> respectable platforms which use Linux (Maemo, Palm WebOS, Android)
> forego trivial options like this to obtain a more cohesive experience,
> especially with their respective ecosystems of third party
> applications.

You're talking about mobile platforms built for a tiny screen and 1 -3
buttons. Is that where gnome is focusing their user experience on?
Limited functionality and customizability? No thanks. I prefer my
computer to act like a computer and not a cellphone or ipod.

> If you're talking about consistency and applications supporting your
> preferred approach (smaller toolbars), this change is absolutely an
> improvement. It's a decisive step, yes, but it means that every
> installation of the GNOME desktop can be expected (with rare
> exception) to have this behaviour. Applications can then be designed
> towards that behaviour, producing a stronger experience for our users.
> It's similar to what the HIG does for us, really.

"Improvement"?
Removing polish and customizablity is an improvement?

"Stronger experience for our users"?
Are we even talking about the same thing here?