RE: Remote login

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

I use a simple ssh terminal at work as well and that's what I'll be using
most of the time here. However, it would be nice to get the GUI Desktop up
now and again.

I've got a simple terminal running (SecureCRT).

I've had the Gnome Desktop up and running when I've had a keyboard and a
mouse connected directly to the box.

I had to make a couple of changes to get the box to boot at all without a
keyboard and mouse attached. I forget what they were for the moment, but the
instructions were clearly documented and it was obviously a common problem.

I suspect the VNC issue relates to Gnome looking in the wrong place for the
keyboard and mouse. Most of the messages seems to relate to the keyboard and
mouse, but it's not obvious to a Gnome novice what I'm supposed to do about
it.

I was running the vns4server as an ordinary user, but I've just tried it as
root. It doesn't help, and the system complains bitterly if you start a
gnome session as a priviledged user.

Another possible source of the problem is that I haven't done anything to
change the standard booting of the Gnome Desktop. ie Whatever it did to
bring up the Desktop when the monitor, keyboard and mouse were directly
attached. That might be why some of the messages refer to a windows manager
already running.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Duncan