Gnome does not shut down nor log out user

Hello

Using Gnome 2.30.2 on Debian testing:

When I try to log out of Gnome or shutdown the system using the "System" menu options, nothing happens. I have to call up a terminal window and manually reboot the system. Gnome is used in conjunction with GDM, and I don't know which is causing the problem.

My system is up-to-date and despite searching on-line I cannot find any information on either the cause nor the solution, altho' clearly a fair number of Gnome users seem to be experiencing this as an issue.

Any help for this please? It is getting so frustrating that I am seriously considering switching to another DM.

Thanks for any input.

AG