Missing Font Glyphs

I've successfuly built and use Gnumeric 1.9.4 on an x86 running Fedora 7.

I have attempted to do the same thing on an x86_64 running Centos 5.2,
but the glyphs don;t show and I get the following messages upon
startup:

I've searched this list's archives and found no help.  I've done a
general google search and get lots of hits where the same problem is
mentioned, but I've found only one response and that was to copy fonts
from one host to another which seems like a last-resort fix.  I think
I may be missing some prerequisite but nothing is apparent to me.

I built several packages as prerequisites for Gnumeric:

libgsf-1.14.11
goffice-0.7.3
glib-2.19.8
gtk+-2.15.4
pango-1.23.0
cairo-1.8.6
pixman-0.14.0
tiff-3.8.2

plus gnumeric-1.9.4 itself, but ./configure didn't report anything
missing that seemed related to fonts.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Tom