Re: contens of gnome-list Digest, Vol 57, Issue 23 topic 1

I installed ubuntu 8.1 inside windows xp home edition.

I rebooted and selected ubuntu to run and was eventually asked to input a username & password.

not having been requested during installation of ubuntu I do not know what I should input.
anything that I input for the first boot is not accepted.
Boot in 'safe mode'
Brings you to a $ prompt, line editing mode.

Type:-

$ passwd and enter.

You will be prompted for a new password and will be asked to repeat it.

Make the password long enough to be secure.

Once you have done this then you will be able to set up user accounts

Now:-

useradd -d /home/testuser -m testuser

and
passwd testuser

allows change of password of user (testuser)