Headless managment

 Starting with FC9 (Gnome 2.22.3 current I think) GDMSetup  was removed due to changes in which layers were handling the login screens/themes etc(By Gnome I'm told). This contiues to date to be true with the advent of FC10 and new GNome. In fairness it is possible to configure xdmcp, but its a bit spotty and seems to break every-other update.
    Enough background, my real question is where is Gnome going for authenticated, secured remote control of Gnome equipped boxes, I've looked into VNC, and it does not allow me to initiate a new session remotely and authenticate the way Xnest/X will allow using XDMCP nor does vinagre provide any other functionality I am aware of other than a VNC module.  (I may be ignorant on this issue but I'm all googled out on it.)  I think its great that most distros are becoming C3 capable with SELinux and Gnome locking and enterprise type policies, but I'm of a class where simpler is better, I rely on my hardware firewall to the external world and local/ldap/ad authentication to the inernal world w/out the need of tunneling VNC/Xdmcp in my controlled hardware enviorment.
 Is there something cooking that will fill my needs or do we have a few holes to patch up ? Any suggestions or ideas welcome.
Regards
Chuck