Removing USB Drive Icons

Ok, still getting used to Gnome. I had to pull something off of one of
my USB drives, when I unplugged it the icon stayed on the desktop. Dummy
me I plugged it in again and another icon popped up. Removed the drive
and it too stayed now I have two unused 'cdrom' icons on the desktop. In
KDE4 when a USB drive is removed the icon disappears, I guess not so in
Gnome. So, how do I remove these two icons? I assume now that the
correct procedure is as it used to be that is to umount the USB drive
before removing it?

Chris

--
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C