Locate missing icons in an icon pack

Hi all.

Some themes are incomplete, meaning that some apps ( at the moment, evolution ) display a red cross in the place of the missing icon. I'd like to track down the icon names that an app is looking for, so I can add an icon to the icon theme.

I already know about strace, and will use it as a last resort. It spews out so much information that it somehow brings down my graphics drivers. Is there some other way to get notified about missing icons when a gtk app attempts to load them?

Thanks :)

Dan