Gnome broke on Debian upgrade

Oops my bad.

In my message (a slightly edited copy follows) I meant to say I get the
background wallpaper and nothing else!

Stuart

I recently upgraded my desktop from Debian Lenny to Testing.

(This pulled in some of the 2.24 desktop from the previous 2.22)

Now when I log in with the Gnome desktop, I got the
<cut>splash screen</cut> wallpaper
and nothing else. No mouse buttons do anything either.

I tried creating a new user and got the same results.

(I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Gnome package to no avail.)

Any ideas as to what my system is hung on (or even what to look at to
diagnose the problem) would be appreciated.

Stuart