slow virtual desktop switching

I have Gnome 2.8 on RHEL 4u6. I have an nvidia 8600 GT with the
proprietary nvidia drivers installed.

Virtual desktop switching can get kind of cumbersome on my machine
when I have lots of windows open (it seems to draw the windows one at
a time instead of all at once). Window resizing seems slightly on the
slow side as well.

I was wondering if anyone knew tricks for speeding it up.
Unfortunately, since this is a work machine doing any kind of major
upgrade to the distro is probably out of the question. Maybe there's
some hardware acceleration setting I can turn on or something?

Other Linux workstations I've used in the past with gnome have had
very snappy redraw on a virtual desktop switch, so I'm a little
surprised how sluggish things feel on this setup.

Thanks,
Brendan