Customizing Gnome on Macosx

I recently installed Gnome 2.14.0 via fink under Mac OSX (Tiger). I've used gnome for many years under various Linux distros. My .xinitrc looks like this:

# $Id: xinitrc,v 1.3 2004/06/11 04:37:23 jharper Exp $
userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/etc/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f "$sysresources" ]; then
   xrdb -merge "$sysresources"
fi

if [ -f "$sysmodmap" ]; then
   xmodmap "$sysmodmap"
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then
   xrdb -merge "$userresources"
fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
   xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

# start the window manager
quartz-wm --only-proxy &
metacity &

#start GNOME
source /sw/bin/init.sh
exec /sw/bin/gnome-session

I'm not sure how to integrate applications into the gnome desktop environment eg. I have gedit and gnome terminal in /sw/bin (fink put them there), they open fine from a Mac terminal but how do I integrate them into "Applications" in the top menu bar.....also I notice when I double-click on eg. a word document on gnome I get the message:

"couldn't display /Users/Iain/blah.doc"....is it possible to integrate eg. pre-installed MS Office, Thunderbird, Firefox into Gnome ?

Help on this and any other suggestions in making Gnome more integrated under MacOSX would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance !
Iain