Re: how to make totem use a different alsa device

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 14:50 -0300, Bruno Schneider wrote:
> When working on the computer, I like to leave some background music
> like many people. The problem is that music files tend to overcome
> sound warnings and sinals from other apps. By default, alsa mixes them
> all with the same volume, so I create a special sound device from
> background music, with a separate volume control, so that sound
> signals played on the default PCM device are loud, when compared to
> the music.
>
> I used to play music with XMMS, which lets you choose which audio
> device to use, and it used to work fine. However, Debian is leaving
> XMMS behind and I'm trying to use totem in its place.
>
> The problem is that I can't find a way to make totem use my special
> alsa device. Is it possible?

Hi,

If you are using Totem with the GStreamer backend, it should use
musicaudiosink. You should be able to configure this to use your special
sound device. If not from the sound preferences capplet, it should be
possible in gconf.

If you are using Totem with Xine, I'm guessing you need to specify the
device in the Xine configuration file (somewhere in ~/.gnome2/totem)

You should also look into PulseAudio, I think it can be configured to
give a different volume level to system sounds.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson