Re: How to debug Gnome (newbie question)?

--- Simos Xenitellis <simos lists googlemail com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 5:32 PM, buyoppy
> <buyoppy yahoo co jp> wrote:
> >  (I forgot to fix subject, so I resent this
> message again.
> > I'm sorry.)
> >> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:52:40 +0100
> >> From: "Simos Xenitellis"
> >> <simos lists googlemail com>
> >> Subject: Re: How to debug Gnome (newbie
> question)?
> >> To: buyoppy <buyoppy yahoo co jp>
> >> Cc: gnome-list gnome org

<598e9210807220352s6ac5d363v5b905c25610c6cb9 mail gmail com>

> [...]
> with
> >>
> >> file-roller --help
> >>
> >> You will notice other options, such as "--sync",
> >> which helps when debugging.
> >>
> >> You can also install the debugging support
> packages
> >> for the core GNOME
> >> libraries, so that any stack traces you get, will
> >> have more precise
> >> information, that will help to find the source or
> >> report to GNOME
> >> Bugzilla.
> >> For example, the GTK+ library comes from the
> >> libgtk2.0 package, and by
> >> installing the "-dbg" version (here,
> >> libgtk2.0-0-dbg), your stack
> >> traces will be more informational.
> >>
> >> For more information see
> >> http://live.gnome.org/Bugsquad/
> >>
> >> Simos
> >>

> >> ------------------------------
> >  Thank you very much for your kind advice.
> >  Actually I have another related question. I
> installed the
> > latest version of glib-2.0, etc. from tarball in
> order to
> > build some simulation library(libswarm). Latest
> version of
> > glib locates at /usr/local/lib. Since then Gnome
> becomes
> > to freeze, I think.
> >  I don't know how to resolve such a problem: I
> want use
> > some application or library which requires the
> latest
> > version of fundamental library(like glib). On the
> other
> > hand, older version of that library which was
> installed
> > from package still remains at /usr/lib. That is,
> there
> > exists two different version of the same library
> on the
> > system. How can I use safely latest version at
> > /usr/local/lib for some app/lib without bothering
> older
> > version at /usr/lib to work for other existing
> packages?
> >  I've been stucked at this problem for a few
> years. Could
> > you give me any enlightenment?
> >  I'm sorry for my quite long question. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> You can bypass a library on demand using the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.
> If you want to run "mysimulation" with your new
> glib, open a Terminal and type
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
>
> Then, verify that "mysimulation" actually bypasses
> the system glib and
> uses the freshly installed one,
>
> ldd /usr/local/bin/mysimulation
> 	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
> (0x00007fc0b90aa000)
>
> If you get a line like that, then you are ready to
> run "mysimulation"
> with the new glib.
>
> Obviously, these settings of environment variables
> will be lost when
> you close the Terminal.
> If for some reason you want to keep them, you can

 Now I know the problem! \(^^)/ I was ldconfiguring whole
/usr/local/lib.
 Instead, now I inserted 'env
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib"' to command of panel
launchers as necessary. Since then it seems that no window
freezes at all!
 I have no words to thank you.

Stop! Global Warming ~ Yahoo! JAPAN Earth Project
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/earthproject/