Re: file association quiestion

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:46:52AM -0400, yitzle wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Vasiliy G Tolstov <v tolstov selfip ru> wrote:
> > Hello!
> > I have some question default program to open some files likes
> > jpeg,jpg,png,bmp. I'm using eog and gimp. After installing gimp - all
> > this files opens in gimp by default. How can i change this behavior ?
> > (this files types is for example, also i want to change default
> > application to plain/text files and other..).
> > Does gnome provide this feature or exists some gtk programms?...
> > --
> > Vasiliy G Tolstov <v tolstov selfip ru>
> > Selfip.Ru
> >

> Right click on the file, select Properties and go to the Open With
> tab. Select the desired application you wish to open it with.

Does that work for just the file extension, just the file itself, or
for all files of that MIME type?

There's also /usr/share/applications/defaults.list which associates
programs with MIME types.  Per user overrides are possible in

    $HOME/.local/usr/share/applications/defaults.list

What I'm not clear on is if /etc/mime.types and/or /etc/mailcap are
ever used.  Anyone understand and able to explain this process in
detail?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley hank org