Gnome and ToME

Hi,

I've been working on ToME(www.t-o-m-e.net) for the last few months and I've run into a problem which I'm hoping someone here can help me with. Although ToME has a gtk interface, this problem occurs only with the raw libX11 interface. Reproducing the problem on my machine is simple and goes as follows:

Start ToME
Maximize ToME

Once ToME is maximized, wnck-applet, Xorg and metacity start to use all available cpu time. ToME itself has called XNextEvent() and after several other internal X function calls is sitting in a call to poll() waiting to receive its next event. If instead of using the maximizing button I resize ToME manaully to fill the screen, no unnecessary cpu usage occurs with any of the applications mentioned earlier. Why would any of these gnome applications start eating cpu time for something that ToME is either doing or not doing associated with Maximizing? Is there something ToME needs to do during initialization or during a resize event to correctly work with Metacity?

I am currently running FreeBSD 6.2 and Gnome 2.20.1, but I've seen this behaviour with earlier versions of Gnome including 2.18.x and 2.16.x.
--
phil