Locking gnome panel orientation for 2.16.1

I'm running gnome 2.16.1 (with CentOS5) on my laptop and have a single
gnome panel on the bottom of the screen.  Occasionally I accidentally
grab the panel while mousing, and the panel changes orientation from
bottom to the top or the side.  Most annoying.

Is there any way to configure gnome to lock the panel down at the bottom,
or set some file read-only, so that it can no longer move accidentally?

My panel environment is pretty stable.  I would rather not upgrade
gnome to 2.18 until my distro does so, so I hope there is a fix that
works with 2.16 .

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          keithl keithl com         Voice (503)-520-1993