Re: Propriate application distribution and GTK+ dlls.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for responce.

Could you please comment more on this.

As far as I understand from LGPL text, GTK+ can be used by commercial projects too.

As per section (5)

> A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is designed to
> work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is called a "work that uses
> the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and
> therefore falls outside the scope of this License.

So, the program that uses GTK+ seems to be not required to inherit the license.

The question is, if I'll include a GTK+ dll's into installer, distributive as a whole can be treated as a work derived from the library, since it does contain the library dll's, so the license should be inherited.

But, on other hand, we have a condition in the section (6) declaring the exception:

> As an exception to the Sections above, you may also combine or link a "work
> that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work containing portions of
> the Library, and distribute that work under terms of your choice, provided that
> the terms permit modification of the work for the customer's own use and reverse
> engineering for debugging such modifications.

> You must give prominent notice [...] Also, you must do one of these things:

> b. Use a suitable shared library mechanism for linking with the Library. A suitable
> mechanism is one that (1) uses at run time a copy of the library already present
> on the user's computer system, rather than copying library functions into the
> executable, and (2) will operate properly with a modified version of the library,
> if the user installs one, as long as the modified version is interface-compatible
> with the version that the work was made with.

So, I thought, dynamic linkage can be a desired solution, because user will be able to use another GTK+ version and run an application.

What do you think?

Thanks,
- Alex.