Re: Turn off puplet - how?

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM, MHR <mhullrich gmail com> wrote:
> On my desktop at work, I figured out a way to turn off puplet (the pup
> applet that pops up whenever an update for installed packages is
> available).  I still get the yum-updatesd notice on my terminal, I
> just don't have to mess with puplet.
>
> However, I completely forgot how I did this.  Can anyone post the proper method?
>
> I'm running CentOS 5.2 with Gnome 2.16 (yeah, it's old, but it's stable...).

Not sure if this applies to your distro, but on fedora 7 and up there is a file:
/etc/xdg/autostart/puplet.desktop

You can chmod it so regular users can't read it: chmod 600
puplet.desktop or move it elsewhere or just delete it.

Another approach, for only changing *some* users to not run puplet is to change:
~/.config/autostart/puplet.desktop so it contains the following:
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false

There is probably some gui way to do this, although I don't know how,
and it would be less likely to work the same on CentOs 5.2

Mike