Re: You are not allowed to access the system configuration...

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 19:32 +0200, Kiffin Gish wrote:
> For some reason, since recently I am unable to access certain menu items
> from Gnome. For example:
>
>   System > Administration > Users and Groups
>
> Results in the following error message:
>
>   The configuration could not be loaded
>   You are not allowed to access the system configuration.
>
> Used to be that I would be presented a dialogue to enter the root
> password, but that is not happening anymore.

Since g-s-t 2.18.x, access to the tools is determined through DBus
policies, there are two possible setups:

        1) Having a policy
        in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/system-tools-backends.conf to allow
        access to a group where you should include all the users you
        want to grant access, like:

        <policy group="sysadmin">
          <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.SystemToolsBackends"/>
          <allow
        send_destination="org.freedesktop.SystemToolsBackends"/>
        </policy>

        2) remove any group policy in that file to only allow access to
        the root user and modify .desktop files for all the tools to use
        gksu, this is the option Ubuntu has taken, for example.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
   Carlos