How to configure gnome applications (not gconf)

Hi!  How can I configure gnome applications in ways not supported by gconf settings?  It doesn't appear that I can set a resource in ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources -- is that right?  Is there some other mechanism or am I out of luck?

In particular, I am using ubuntu feisty and trying to use a different mouse cursor rather than the I-beam "xterm" cursor for gnome-terminal.  Is there some way to do that?

Also, if this is not the right mailing list to ask this type of question what is a better location to ask?

Thanks a lot!

Check out new cars at Yahoo! Autos.