Iconify instead of minimize

Hello, I'm running GNOME 2.18, packaged with Ubuntu Feisty H5.
I'd like to change the default behavior when pressing the minimize button on a window. As it is now, the window hides in my task bar (usual behavior). Instead of having the window in my task bar (I'm trying to eliminate the need of having a task bar at all) I'd like for the window to place itself as an icon on my desktop.
XFCE4.4 has this behavior, and I believe Windowmaker, as well as TWM do as well, I hope you know what I mean.
Is it possible to accomplish this?