Re: Registering new protocol with gnome

Michael R. Head schrieb:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 11:03 +0100, Sharven Raabe wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> could anyone tell me please how you register a new, custom application
>> layer protocol with Gnome? The admin guide is very extensive about new
>> MIME types, but a protocol ain't even mentioned.
>>

> Under what circumstances would you like to be able to use such a URL?

hmmm... under any circumstance you'd use any other hyperlink.  Web
browsers at first, but any other kind of software that processes links,
too. In my case email client, news feed readers, office software and
possibly the help systems and chat clients. Every one of these software
components knows, for example, what to do with the smtp: protocol by
passing the request to Gnome. All I want is the same for secondlife:

The links are widely used since under Windows that automatically and
vast majority of SLers uses the Windows client. Their purpose is
referencing a location within the environment. You click it, the SL
client opens and brings you directly to the referenced location. SL URLs
are not that much different from other URLs.