Re: gnome fail-safe message

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 15:33 -0400, Roger A. Katz wrote:

> I've been doing new installs of RedHat Enterprise Linux WS4U5 to a number
> of systems.
> When they finish my /etc/issue shows this.
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)
> > When I log in as root(or any user for that matter) to the gnome gui, I
> get a little pop up box that says:
> > "Cannot find or run the base session script, will try the gnome failsafe
> session for you.

> > I hit the ok button and another pop up box displays. > > "This is the fail-safe gnome session. You will be logged in to the
> 'Default' of gnome with no startup scripts".
> > Then the normal log in screens appear and eventually I get what I think
> is the normal look and feel for what I expect as root.  If I try to make
> changes to this and try to "save the current session" when I log out,
> the save does not take, and I get the above two messages again when I
> next log in.
> > When a regular user logs in they also get the above two pop-ups, and
> then  they do not get a default look and feel, but they get their
> personalized gnome look and feel that they see when they log one of our
> WS3 systems.
> > What configuration setting am I missing that sets/enables/disables the
> gnome base startup scripts?
> > Thanks > > Roger
It is not clear how we deduced this, but it seemed that gdm needed to execute xdm/Xsession. In /etc/X11/xdm there is an Xsession executable. We put a soft link in /etc/X11/gdm named Xsession that points to that executable. The pops now do not occur when a user logs in.

I'm not sure if my install is faulty, but when I customize my systems for our environment I can now add this link.

Thanks to everyone who did reply with suggestions.

Roger A. Katz  [ rak bnl gov ]          CAD Controls Division Bldg 911 C
(631) 344-2732 fax (631) 344-5443      Brookhaven National Laboratory
                                      Upton, N.Y. 11973-5000