Media questions

I have CentOS 5.0 with gnome 2.16.0 installed.  Totem seems to be the default player for everything, even though it dosn't seemt o know how to play anything (fails on all media types).  I'd like to change this.

1) What do I need to load on my system to get totem to recognize anything/everything/???

2) In the alternative, how can I change my settings to set up my preferred software to respond to CDs (CD Player), DVDs (xine), etc. so that when I open a CD or DVD or any kind of media file, a player that actually works will run and play the contents?

Thanks.

mhr