Alt+num combination being ignored?

Hello,

   I'm trying to have Alt+num (num being from 0 to 9 on the numbers on
top of the standard keys) combination work in irssi ran through urxvt
on Gnome 2.16.2, but for some reason, it keeps ignoring the left-alt,
but the right-alt+num works. Since I also saw that I set
alt_shift_toggle for a us/es keygroup switch and it doesn't work unless
I push both alt keys, I am guessing either Gnome is grabbing those and
not letting them be used, or Xorg keymapping out of place. However,
using Gnome's terminal, if I use left-alt+num it switches tabs as it
should (which is why I am not using Gnome's terminal, I want that for
irssi).

I have attached a small text file with two excerpts of the log and the
conf for further pondering.

Thanks and regards.

--
Elisamuel Resto <samuel dragonboricua net>
PGP key ID: 0x18615F19
PGP fingerprint: B66D 1C2A E8EE B922 1D9C  D98F D2D5 FB61 1861 5F19
Xorg.0.log extract:
===================
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard: Core Keyboard
(**) Option "Protocol" "standard"
(**) Keyboard: Protocol: standard
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
(**) Keyboard: XkbRules: "xorg"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
(**) Keyboard: XkbModel: "pc101"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us,es"
(**) Keyboard: XkbLayout: "us,es"
(**) Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
(**) Keyboard: XkbOptions: "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
(**) Option "CustomKeycodes" "off"
(**) Keyboard: CustomKeycodes disabled
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
    xkb_keycodes             { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)" };
    xkb_types                { include "complete" };
    xkb_compatibility        { include "complete+ledscroll(group_lock)" };
    xkb_symbols              { include "pc+us+es:2+group(alt_shift_toggle)" };
    xkb_geometry             { include "pc(pc101)" };

xorg.conf extract:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"

    Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us,es"
    Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection