waking screensaver from background daemon process

Hi,

I have a root daemon running that starts at boot time.  Sometimes it
pops up an xmessage to report an event.  I was running an older gnome
distro and I just called an xscreensaver command to awaken the screen.
Now I'm running an up to date Debian testing system and root's process
cannot awaken the gnome screensaver.  It looks like this is a job for
Dbus, but the learning curve is pretty steep.  Could someone guide me to
some sample code that will awaken the gnome screensaver from another
process?  The daemon process is in Perl, if that makes any difference.
The event display is time critical, and the extra time to wiggle the
mouse and awaken the screen saver is causing problems.

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Lester