Gnome problem after upgrade from FC6 to FC7

Hello Folks,

I have run into several problems with my upgrade from FC6 to FC7, not least of all the inability of FC7 to recognise the swap partition,
although that was pretty easily worked around. Change fstab entry from 'hdn' to 'sdn' and the upgrade proceeded.  But not without other problems :-(
The problem I am left with is, I believe, a Gnome problem, specifically the panel.

Booting to a GUI all goes well to the login screen. After logging in all goes to the point where the panel is loading. It reaches to approximately the middle
of the screen and up pop what appears to be a dialog box (error? info?. I don't know as it is blank). It all hangs at this point. Trying to close the
dialog box eventually brings up an informational box that states that "" is not responding. Wait or force quit? Continued waiting could lead to old age. Quitting leads to the disappearance of the dialog/warning box and the bit of the panel (which, by the way, hasn't popped up so I have no way of knowing just what application is hanging) that started to load. You can just see a white strip at the botom of the screen.

The two applications I start at login, yakuake and korganizer, start OK and respond to the mouse and keyboard BTW.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix the problem. Is it possible to remove apps from the panel
at the command prompt?

All help appreciated.

--
Kind Regards,