Re: gnome daemons left running at logout

Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
Hello

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 10:12 -0400, James Bardin wrote:
Hello,

We recently started using CentOS 5 (RHEL5), with gnome 2.16 in our labs.

I've noticed that sometimes after logout; gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-volume-manager, gnome-power-manager, and gconfd may continue running under the last user's uid. The next login gets new daemons (even if it's the same user), and these processes start to build up. Basically, if they don't die soon after logout, they never die.

I can write a cron job to clean these out, but is there some mis-configuration causing this?
Strange. I have not seen this issue.

What is the state of this process - zombie ?

I was hoping someone would say "Oh, that's caused by _______", but you know that never really happens :)

I think they all show up sleeping, but of course I haven't been able to replicate it today. I also caught bonobo-activation-server doing this, and I did confirm that it was in state sleeping. I just discovered that gdm wasn't registering with utmp, so users weren't shown as logged in. Don't know if it's related, but I'll see if it still happens when some students get here.

I'll try to collect more info.

Are there any funny messages in /var/log/{messages,audit,secure} ?

Nope, don't see anything fishy in the logs either.

Thanks,
-jim