A "gnome-thing" that bother me: "connect to computer" icons

So, I'm just looking for a little feedback, perhaps some suggestions
for alternate procedures, perhaps a suggestion that I should submit a
bugzilla enhancement request.

I have a number of different network and remote computers that I
infrequently need to connect to using nautilus. So, I have gone to
nautilus, selected the "computer" icon in the toolbar, and used the
"connect to server" option, and then filled out the form. This then
creates an icon both in the open nautilus window, and on my desktop.

Nice.

However, I have discovered that there is no way to manage these icons.
I remove the icon from my desktop, nor even put them into a folder on
my desktop. The only way to make them disappear, is to select "unmount
volume" (which in and of itself is ridiculous because in most cases
these filesystems are NOT mounted).

However, once unmounted they are removed from my now cleaner desktop
... but damn! the icon is also gone from the "computer" area of
nautilus!!!!!

There is apparently no way to manage these "icons" (they seem like
launchere) nor even can I edit them (like, for example if the name I
gave was badly spelled, or something) -- I can only "unmount" the not
mounted item, and thereby lose it.

Now ... how can I accomplish my (seemingly simple) goal of having
icons stored neatly somewhere of my choosing, that would serve as
shortcuts to storage that I infrequently enough use that I may not
remember ip/dns names, etc ...?

Suggestions? Am I missing something obvious?

Peter

ps -- using SLED10 and whatever flavor of gnome it comes with

--
Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried
to make it precise.

Bertrand Russell

www.the-brights.net