startup performance

Hi there
I user Ubuntu Linux (still Edgy and will update in two weeks) with the GNOME desktop. After a complete new install of the system GNOME starts up pretty fast and shows also a quite nice performance. However, after some time (weeks) it is getting slower and slower (especially during startup). This effect seems to be independent since I could observe it on all releases since 2.12. Is there any reason why this happens and if yes how can one get GNOME becoming faster again?

best regards
  Eugen Wintersberger