Re: Can't make directory link to Desktop

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 22:33 +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using Gnome 2.14 on Debian.  Let's take a user Gavin who is in the
> Domain Users group.
>
> gavin honey:~$ id
> uid=1007(gavin) gid=513(Domain Users) groups=513(Domain Users)
> gavin honey:~$ ls -ld /home/share
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-12-21 14:30 /home/share
> gavin honey:~$ ls -ld /home/share/general/
> drwxrwxr-x 5 root Domain Users 4096 2007-04-11 11:49 /home/share/general/
>
> The problem is that using Nautilus, the user can't create a link to
> /home/share/general on the Desktop.  Upon right-clicking on the
> directory, Make Link... is greyed out.  Is this a bug?  The user has
> read permissions on the directory (and its parent).

The 'Make Link' menu item creates a symlink in the same
directory as the original file or directory.  I don't
quite understand why anybody finds that useful, though
I suppose you can then move the symlink elsewhere.

Since the user doesn't have permission to write to the
directory /home/share/, he can't use 'Make Link' on
files or directories in /home/share/, since it would
create the symlink in that directory.

Instead of using 'Make Link', try making the link with
drag and drop.  If you hold down Ctrl+Shift, Nautilus
will symlink instead of move the file.  Alternatively,
if you hold down Alt, you'll get a menu of possible
drag actions when you drop.

--
Shaun