XF86 volume controls and multiple sound cards

I have a multimedia keyboard which has two volume keys on it which have
been mapped to "XF86AudioLowerVolume" and ""XF86AudioRaiseVolume".
Using gnome-keybinding-properties I have mapped these keys to the
"Volume down" and "Volume up" events and evertying works with one
exception... I have multiple sound cards and which sound card it chooses
to control seems to be crap shoot from one login session to another.  Is
there any way to tell gnome which sound card it should bind it's volume
control to?

Cheers,
b.

Brian J. Murrell