Re: Gnome won't work for user.

I apologize, I forgot to mention that I was trying to start X with Gnome from a console. I normally boot to run level 3 and later start the GUI from there.

I tried your suggestion. I changed /etc/inittab to boot to run level 5. I have not used GDM a lot, and I don't remember seeing "Failsafe" as an option. It was not available when I looked this eveing.

I appreciate your effort. I should have remembered that whenever there is a problem in starting Gnome, delete the user's setup directories and restart. I ran "rm -fdr gcon* && rm -fdr gnom*" in the user's home directory, ran startx again, and everything works.

Thanks again,
Bob Barrett
___

Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:

Would it  be possible to login to desktop from gdm using "Failsafe"
session. Once logged in, run gnome-session from "terminal" window
present on screen. This print out diagnostic messages

gnome-sesson