Re: Black Screen Desktop

We experienced the same problem with our 70 Fedora Core 5 installs. We're using 64-bit processors and high-end nvidia graphics cards, and had the same problem.

We're not sure just why this happens, but when Core 5 boots, it looks for glx driver libraries in:

/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

If you log out and log in again , which cycles the X-server, the server looks for the same ".so" in

/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so

It's been a while, so the details are a bit foggy on exactly how we found this, but it took us a month of trying.

Here's what we did to solve the problem:

1) In /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions, create a symbolic link between libglx.so and /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so.

2) In /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia, we create a symbolic link from libglx.so to the "latest" libglx library version:

         libglx.so -> libglx.so.1.0.8774
libglx.so.1.0.8774 is in this case the most recent version obtained from Livna, and resides in the same directory. Hope this helps ...

Bob McKie
Systems Manager
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Surgical Planning Lab

POLONKAI Gergely wrote:
I also use an NVidia Card with the latest drivers, however, I don't get
this error. I use gnome's own VNC server, vino. Maybe you should try it,
it also puts through the screensavers graphics :)

2006. 10. 13, p�ek keltez�el 20.59-kor Brian J. Murrell ezt �a: