default and mandatory settings

I'm new to gnome so forgive me if these are stupid questions. I'm just trying to make sure I understand how it works.

Theoretically if I copied everything in the /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults directory into the /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory directory, suddenly all of my default settings would become mandatory. Correct? Not that I would do this. I'm just verifying that this is the type of content this directory should have. It's empty by default, so I can't say for sure.

Also, if login as a test user, make changes to preferences, then copy the contents of the test user's .gonf directory to the /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults directory, the changes I made to the test user's preference would be my default settings for other users? In this case will I have to worry about there being any references to my test username in any of the config files?

Thanks,

Ron