Re: Gnome would not run

>   I am having no luck here. Bash just does not recognise the command
> gnome-session ?

Hi Bijan,

Exactly what are you trying to do?  The mention of cygwin sounds like you are trying to run the GNOME desktop under Microsoft Windows -- something which is not (yet) possible, as far as I can tell.  This site[1] seems to be the most up-to-date method of installing GNOME2 under cygwin, simply by adding the URL[2] to cygwin sources list.

>From the looks of the cygwinports site, only certain GNOME2 applications will run i.e. you can NOT use the entire desktop environment as a replacement for Windows explorer.exe.

Actually, this forum[3] gives some possibilities (including the cygwinports one I found previously)

[1] http://cygwinports.dotsrc.org/
[2] ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports
[3] http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10056&sid=8d584b46d26075b1315ce6cac1274970

Good luck!
--
Glenn J. Mason (glennji)