Recent upgrade causes sluggishness when changing workspaces

I recently upgraded to Gnome 2.12 and to Xorg from XFree86. Now when I use keyboard commands to change amongst my four workspaces I get a noticeable (and aggravating) delay of about a second before the newly-selected workplace finishes rendering. The only way I've managed to get the problem to go away is by selecting "no wallpaper"-- it seems to be present whenever I have any wallpaper selected.

I'm absolutely sure this problem just appeared because I find the machine almost unusable in its current state (I switch workplaces quite often). Any idea how I could go about troubleshooting this one?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon