Opening files from file-roller

Hi.  I'm presently running GNOME 2.8 on CentOS 4.3 (RHEL 4) (with great
success, I might add :-) ).  I recently "reset" my user account by
moving all the "dot" (or "hidden") files (.[^.]*) in my home directory
into a backup directory and login in as a "new" user to allow all the
applications to "regenerate" their dot-files.  (I did this because my
account is extremely old and I thought it was about time I cleaned
things up a little).

Before my reset whenever I ran "file-roller" I was able to right-click
on any file, select "View" or "Open" from the menu and a list of
"compatible" applications (which could open the file selected) would be
shown for me to decide which one to use to "launch" the file (for
"viewing" or "opening").  Now, after the reset, the application list in
"file-roller" is empty.  Is there any way for me sort of "configure"
file-roller to "know" which apps to use for which files?  Sorry if the
question is obvious.  TIA.

Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque