missing xorg.conf

Hi,

I am running a Debian Sid system, kernel 2.6.16, and am trying to move
to an X environment. I have installed xorg and gnome, and am trying to
configure xserver-xorg before going further.

Somehow I have ended up without a xorg.conf file in my /etc/X11
directory, or anywhere else on the system for that matter, and when I
run this:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

as root, it walks me through all the expected questions, terminating
without error or warning, but does not write any output file anywhere
that I can find.  When I then start the xserver with startx, and examine
the log, it tells me no configuration file was found, and drops back to
the built in defaults.

Any idea what is happening here? I have also tried this:

apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg

and that has not helped. Still no xorg.conf, and none gets written when
I do the configuration.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Chuck

Get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
  and remember, INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE!