Re: which package is resposible for displaying images (e.g., on buttons)?

Hi,

It depends on which icons.  A lot of the default icons (e.g. save, open
etc. in menus / toolbars) are from gtk+.  Which version of gtk+ are you
using?  There was a recent problem with the 2.9 series, where a header
file wasn't correctly built / installed that caused some problems.  For
GNOME 2.14.2 though, you should be using gtk+ 2.8.19.  I don't know if
that suffers from the same problem.

GIMP previews are (I think) done in GIMP itself (either that or in gtk
+).  Are you using a self-compiled version of GIMP?  If so, do you have
the various image libraries installed?  (You'll need the -devel or -dev
packages of them from your distro).  If it is a self-compiled copy,
check at the end of the configure stage, it should list all the features
that are enabled (or disabled), including the image types GIMP is
compiled with support for.  If it isn't a self-compiled version, you may
have broken one of the dependencies (gtk+).  In which case, it may be a
good idea to reinstall the distro-provided packages of these libs.

If your using distro-provided packages, its generally unwise to
overwrite them with self-compiled packages.  A better option is to
install the various new bits in a separate prefix (/opt/gnome2
or /usr/local or something as opposed to /usr).  This saves things like
this from happening (as you can always remove the new packages and still
be left with a working environment).  Check out garnome [1] or jhbuild
[2] to help with building GNOME from scratch.

Hope this provides at least a little help ;)
Don

[1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/

[2] http://www.jamesh.id.au/software/jhbuild/