Menu Bar / Tool Bar curiostity question ??

Hi;

Just sitting here watching the World Cup game, staring at my desktop.

Began to wonder why are the Menu Bar and the Tool Bar always on separate
rows?  The Tool Bar takes up about 9% of my desktop space when a program
is on full size.  The Menu Bar uses about 30% of its row while the tool
bar uses approximately 45% of its row.  I realize this (particularly the
Tool Bar) can be highly variable.

Nonetheless, it should be possible to combine the two bars on one line
in some rational contextual way and regain a little desktop space.

Is there some deep programming problem?  Is the two row configuration
simply historical?  Is it intuitive?

Just wondering?

--
Regards Bill