Re: Copy keybindings from one machine to another?

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 14:01:46 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
>On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 11:26 +0200, Martin Man wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Larry Hunter wrote On 2006-07-19 02:05,:
>> > Folks,
>> >
>> > I've put some effort into getting my personal favorite keybindings set
>> > up in Gnome (2.14).  Is there some convenient way of copying those
>> > keybindings to another machine?  It would be so much easier to just copy
>> > something than have to go through gnome-keybinding-properties to set
>> > each by hand....
>>
>> Your fried might be gconftool-2, it can certainly get the value of
>> certain property and set a value from commandline. This way you can
>> automate the setup of your shortcuts using the shell script that does
>> something like:
>>
>> $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/global_keybindings/run_command_1 \
>>      --type string F12
>>
>> $ gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands/command_1 \
>>      --type string thunderbird
>>
>> You can also 'gconftool-2 --dump /apps/metacity' to dump your settings
>> into xml, but I didn't find a way how to reimport such xml file back.
>> Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, or it simply is not
>> implemented at all.
>>
>> In any case, I'm missing this functionality as well :-(
>
>The option you want is --load

Are there any settings that aren't safe to load?

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

"Sendmail" and "make" are two well known programs that are pretty widely
regarded as being debugged into existence. That's why their command
languages are so poorly thought out and difficult to learn.  It's not
just you -- everyone finds them troublesome.
     -- Peter van der Linden, Expert C Programming, p. 220