Re: where's the hotkey volume/mute control applet

someone replied to my message privately and said they thought
that gnome accessed the mixer directly, in an unconfigurable
way.  is this really true?  i'm pretty new at gnome, but i
would have thought that the purpose of gconf was to make all
default actions configurable...

paul

a few days ago, i wrote:

 > i'm trying to find the command that's run when i use the
 > volup/voldown/mute function keys on our ubuntu (breezy badger)
 > laptop.  (gnome 2.12?)
 >
 > i've traced from the keys, through the scripts in /etc/acpi,
 > through acpi_fakekey, and then to the mappings in the gnome
 > "keyboard shortcuts" applet.  but i can't figure out what it is
 > that actually puts up and moves the small slider image, nor can i
 > figure out what the real end-action is -- i.e, is there a
 > user-level program invoked?
 >
 > shouldn't i be able to find this mapping somewhere in the gconf
 > tree?  if it's there, i sure can't find it...
 >
 > paul

 paul fox, pgf foxharp boston ma us (arlington, ma, where it's 36.9 degrees)