Locking the Desktop

Running UBUNTU Hoary, GNOME 2.10.0

Please advise me which screen-locking application to use to make "New Login" available.� It was working, but a recent update has left it so that only the user who locked the desktop can unlock it; a different user cannot start a new session.

If it matters (as it may), I also find I cannot switch out to one of the virtual consoles.
--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.