.desktop files and logging out

Hi,

after getting gnome finally working i noticed the desktop littered
with .desktop files. When clicking on these files gnome opens them in
kate/kwrite rather than executing them. How can I tell gnome that these files
require executing rather than associated with kate, and is it possible to
integrate this information into the gnome package.

I have also noticed an absence of any logout options. where is it or how do i
create one.

Thanks

Justin Whelan