keyboard shortcuts and multiple mixers

Hi,  I have a multimedia keyboard, the "Hewlett-Packard SK-2505 Internet
Keyboard".  This keyboard has volume control buttons on it and in the
Keyboard Shortcuts tool, I can successfully map the keys
(XF86AudioLowerVolume and XF86AudioRaiseVolume).  They even work,
however the problem is that they are altering the volume on the wrong
mixer.  I have two sound cards in this machine, both utilizing the ALSA
drivers.

This was all working just fine until I rebooted yesterday and when I
restarted it seems that gnome has decided to map those functions to the
"other" soundcard/mixer in my machine.

How can I tell gnome which soundcard/mixer to bind these multimedia
volume controls to?

Thanx,
b.

Brian J. Murrell