Desktop launchers do not work

Hello, everyone!

I have a strange problem with my Gnome desktop in FC6. In a nutshell: gnome treats launchers as plain text files.

E.g., if I right-click on the desktop, select 'Create Launcher', fill in all the details (say to run gnome-terminal), the system creates a file on the desktop called 'Terminal.desktop' (this is how the file name is shown, including the extension). Then if you click on this file, it is opened in text editor. If you right-click on the file and select 'Properties', the file type is 'text/plain', not 'desktop configuration file', as on other boxes. The file permissions seems to be the same as on other computers (660, user_u:object_r:user_home_t). The behavior exists only for one user, others (tested as root) can create proper launchers.

Attempts to solve the issue so far:
- reinstalled all gnome rpms with --replacefiles --replacepkgs
- removed and re-created ~/.gnome, ~/.gnome2, and a few other similar directories
- relabeled everything in SELinux
- changed the desktop theme back and forth
- restored the defaults using 'gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps' (also /system, /desktop)

Does not work so far.

The system is a pretty generic box, 32-bit. Very little customization done, all updates applied regularly (and the problem was seemingly triggered by one of the updates, and then went for a few days without noticing, as everything worked fine when configured first time upon install).

Any ideas?

P.S. I'm not subscribed to this list. Please, cc the replies to me.

Best regards,
Dmitry