Re: Dual screen usage best practices?

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 10:14 +0100, Martin Man wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [ please CC me on the replies ]
>
> I know this is more "X in general" type of question, but since I use
> gnome why not trying to ask here.
>
> I'm using laptop almost exclusively, and at home I'm also attaching
> second CRT to have dual screen setup. It works quite ok, and survives
> suspend/resume and uses both screens so that I have a huge desktop.
>
> As I'm almost exclusively using suspend/resume and never reboot my
> laptop unless really needed, my questions would be:
>
> 1) Is it possible to dynamically disable screen that is not connected
> (as when my CRT is unplugged from the laptop), and if not, is it
> possible to tell metacity that this screen is not physically there so
> that it can not place windows there until I tell him otherwise?

On FC6 with nv driver this requires a restart of X aka logout and login
( using xinerama ).

With nvidia driver it is possible to stretch display dynamically ( using
twinveiw ) . suspend/resume has issue with nvidia driver.

> 2) Is it possible to make certain windows appear always on certain
> screens, and if so give them also some special attributes? I know
> devilspie can do some window manipulation, but is someone using it with
> dual screen setup?
>
> could you share your portable laptop + dual screen setup best practices?

This is usually a personal choice. My second display connected to my
laptop is rotated left for easy reading of documents.

--
Ritesh Khadgaray
LinuX N Stuff