Workspace confusion

I am running Gnome 2.8.0 on Centos 4.3:

I have come to enjoy working on multiple workspaces. I do specific tasks on different ones.

But there is a behaviour of some programs that has been quite a pain.

GEDIT is typical of this behaviour.

Say I have a text file open in gedit in Workspace 4. Then in Workspace 1 I open a different text file into gedit (either via Nautilus or gedit from a terminal command line, and now BOTH text files are open in one copy of gedit (multiple tabs) in Workspace 1.

I have to right click on the tab to get the text files in different windows and then move the one back into workspace 4.

Why does it do this?

Or rather how do I get it NOT to behave in this manner. To open in the window I started it in and not pull the others into that workspace?

Just a moment ago, I checked gedit Preferences to see if there was a control for this. I clicked on preferences in the gedit in workspace 1 and it opened over the gedit in workspace 4.

Also a program that is starting in one workspace will open in the current workspace.