Uninstalling GTK+2.6.9

When I attempt to load GIMP, I get a pango error.  I see that it is associated with the GTK.  The GTK+2.6.9 software will not uninstall saying that GTK 2.0 unins000.dat does not exist.  When I try to setup a later version it tells me that there was a problem uninstalling version of GTK+2 Runtime Envionment and to do it manually.  The strange thing is that there are no GTK files in my Program Files nor anywhere that I can determine on my computer.
Any ideas?  Thanks and I will be forever grateful.
     Richard F